Thursday, July 22, 2010

Dangerous things you should let your kids do

Gever Tulley has written a book called 50 Dangerous Things You Should Let Your Children Do. I haven't read the book yet but came across a talk he gave when the book was in progress. It resonated with me on a number of levels.

When I compare how children are being raised now with my own childhood - I got the better deal. It probably is a function of when I was born and where I grew up - but we did have an awful lot of freedom to explore our environment without adult supervision. Most days in the summer I would be gone by 7 am and only come home for lunch and dinner. And what did we do? We played games, we built things (sometimes using knives), we put on plays, we did start a few fires, we ran lemonade stands, we harassed the neighbours, we pretended, we fell down and picked ourselves up and we learnt how to interact.

I think it is great that parents are more involved these days but I think it is also important to give children the space to explore the world and learn to deal with it on their own.

H/T Drew

No comments:

Post a Comment